Tuesday, December 16, 2008

lucky number 13 (extraordinary)

early summer morning

The extraordinary news I have been waiting for has finally come through and I am really excited at the prospects and the opportunities this news opens up. Quite some time ago now I applied for a studio at the art center, and I found out yesterday that I have been accepted as the art center's 13th resident artist and will share space with a mixed media artist there on the second floor. (2009 Update... the space is now all mine.)

This art center has had a special place in my heart for years now, since I first discovered them at their original location when I moved here (always on foot and trying to fill my days with activity so that the ache for my children would not overwhelm me), and then on to their next location in temporary space where I stumbled on them taking a painting to ship out via UPS. The art center resided in this temporary space while a brand new extraordinary 30,000 square foot art center was being built in Rockville's new Town Center.

I volunteered and worked for the art center for a time hanging gallery shows and doing exhibit work, and eventually moved on to another job that kept me at the art center and working with art every day. I have made good friends here and the artists, staff, teachers, volunteers and varied inhabitants all make this an extraordinary place to be and work and interact with other artistic souls and patrons.


ex⋅traor⋅di⋅nar⋅y
 /ɪkˈstrɔrdnˌɛri, ˌɛkstrəˈɔr-/
Show Spelled Pronunciation [ik-strawr-dn-er-ee, ek-struh-awr-] –adjective
1.
beyond what is usual, ordinary, regular, or established: extraordinary costs.
2.
exceptional in character, amount, extent, degree, etc.; noteworthy; remarkable: extraordinary speed; an extraordinary man.
3.
(of an official, employee, etc.) outside of or additional to the ordinary staff; having a special, often temporary task or responsibility: minister extraordinary and plenipotentiary.

Origin: 1425–75; late ME extraordinarie <>
extra-, ordinary


So now I will pick up my keys and my new studio mate and I will figure out how best to lay out the space for our various work flows, and I will have a home away from home to work and create and network in a way that is impossible from a home studio, and somehow (almost impossibly) things have come full circle from the goosebump moment of walking into that art center six years ago and feeling like I had come home - to the time that I will carry my belongings over that new threshold and make some part of that space mine. (The symbolic march of the bowls here.)

I am so excited!







Lucky number 13


P.S. To view the pictures of the studio warming party click here.



25 Comments:

Blogger Michelle DeMarco said...

Judith,

YOU are extraordinary! Congratulations on your new studio!!
The world awaits your new creations and will be a better place because of you and them!

blessings and joy!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

thanks for your good wishes Michelle...someday I will give you a tour!

8:28 AM  
Blogger ~Rebecca Anne~ said...

An extraordinary day for an extraordinary Artist. Congrats to you! I'm very excited for your new space and possibilities. May you stretch your arms out wide and relish in working amoung other artists.

Very Cool indeed!
Rebecca

9:08 AM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

Thank you so much Rebecca... you have been along on this journey for a long time.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Holly said...

Judi, having known you all this time I can say without reservation that no-one deserves this opportunity more than you! I am so happy for you and so proud that you hung in there and didn't give up on the thing that you wanted most. Hoorah for you!!!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

Thank you Holly:):):)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Oh Judi, I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for you!! Congratulations to you! It's definitely well deserved for someone who works so hard at what she loves doing. May your wonderfully creative talent continue to thrive in your brand new corner of the art world!!

Hugs!!
~Colleen :)

11:19 AM  
Blogger Pamela Hochschartner Viola said...

yay! yay! yay! congrats to you!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

Thank you Colleen..... you are wonderful and supportive!!

Pamela, now you can come over to visit any time!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Wonderful, this is fabulous news. Another great adventure in your extraordinary life.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

What an exciting opportunity!! I look forward to seeing what you create in this new, wonderful, artsy place!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

No matter waht, life is GOOD Rose!

Astaryth... I have known you for so long now. Thank you for all your support.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Jean Levert Hood said...

Judith, this is sooooo awesome!! I am totally thrilled for you!! And more to come for the New Year!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

Thank you Dear Jean.... score one for the good guys:):):)

3:40 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

That's so great! I take it that photos are forthcoming? Congrats!!!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

You bet Theresa, as soon as I get things prettied up:)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Robbie said...

Woohoo!!! Congratulations!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Nelle said...

Congratulations! I am so happy that your life just keeps getting better and better! Wishing you all the most wonderful things,
Nelle

10:11 PM  
Blogger AlpineButterfly said...

Awesome Woman!!!
wow, congratulations :-) I can't wait to see it.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Light and Voices said...

Kewel....a place to create. What an opportunity. You go girl!
Joyce

1:06 AM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

Dear Robbie.... thanks you so much for always being here through everything.

Nelle, here is hoping for good things for each of us in 2009.

M..... I meant to send you an email last night. Now we can collaborate! I have missed seeing you at the center:)

Joyce, you are appreciated and I thank you for the good wishes.

The key countdown has begun, I should have them either at the end of the day today or tomorrow and am then heading to HD for more shelving and a flatbed dolly.

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Georgie said...

2009
=2+9+2(zeros ;-)
=13

Nothing but fun and creativity ahead, all the best Judith.
Georgie

9:03 PM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

Georgie! Dear Georgie, you came to my blog:):):) I am honored and delighted to have you here my friend:):):)

Yes, good things in 2009.

9:23 PM  
Blogger ambradream said...

Hi Judith! You may not remember me from the early AOL journal days but I surely remember you and have often held you in my thoughts as I have lots of Journal friends over the years! You are an amazing artist and well worthy of such a great studio! It is so awesome to find you again and see how far you have come as an artist! And I do hope that throught he years that ache in your heart for your children has subsided over the years or better yet; been healed:)

Take Care,
Stacy

8:04 PM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

Dear Stacy,

Welcome back... you have been missed as well. All is well in my world but the ache will never go away.... they have a lot of growing to do.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home